badge

Saturday 21 April 2018

Slave to the Music: Sonnet (Letters from the soul #19)


The moon changes its face every black night
Seasons shift, whispering some old wise words;
I spot the changes in me without fight
Let go people and things just like free birds.
Music is the only thing I hold on 
Like a forlorn person who owns nothing
A melody for each night and season
Lost memories rekindle as I sing. 
Being a slave to the music gives me hope
I feel alive despite losing a lot;
Like letters stacked inside an envelope
Music makes me feel secure about my thoughts.
I can feel all the people I have loved
In the rhythm of songs, I have savored.

© Purba Chakraborty 
21.04.2018

Note: This is an English sonnet also known as Shakespearean sonnet. It is a poem consisting of 14 lines (3 quatrains and 1 couplet). Each line consists of 10 syllables. The rhyme pattern is abab cdcd efef gg. 

12 comments:

  1. It's not easy to write a sonnet, I know because I have tried. Great job. Shakespeare would be proud.
    Priya from priyreflects

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    ...and you have captured a Shakespearean mood in yours, Purba! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mesmerizing imagery of moonlight and music. Enjoyed reading it.

    Do stop by my #AtoZChallenge post for S and share your thoughts:
    https://lonelycanopyblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/20/salam-singh-ki-haveli-a-house-of-luxury-and-decadance/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! it's sonnet!very nice. And the poem is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am a slave to music my dear, thus your sonnet is extremely relatable♥️

    ReplyDelete
  6. The feelings and the change so well connected with music, moon, and changing seasons. Music indeed helps relives a lot! Beautiful Purba!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful imagery Purba! "Lost memories rekindle as I sing". So moving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sonnets are a form I find among the most difficult to write but wonderful to read. I loved the idea of the shifting seasons whispering some old wise words.Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally get it! Music rekindles our souls and jogs the memories of our hearts like none other!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yet another amazing expression from you, Purba and the one which has some challenging rules. Awe-inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah! Tell me about it. I am a slave to music myself. Can't agree more with you Purba. This was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)