badge

Sunday 22 November 2015

My Dad is #madeofgreat

Everyone has a different definition about a great man. For some, a great man might be a person who is extremely famous. For some, a great man might be a person who is exceptionally rich and powerful. For some people like me, a great man is a person with an extraordinary character.

This post is dedicated to the person whose values, ideals, personality and character has influenced my life and made me the person I am today. He is my Dad, my Mom, my role model, my best friend, my cheerleader, my philosopher and my guide.

I understood his greatness for the first time when I was twelve years old. The love of his life, my mother passed away due to multiple organ failure. It broke him to bits. But he did not let his deep anguish reflect on his face as it would have tormented me. He was determined to fulfill the last promise he made to my mother, that is to give me the best life possible and to raise me up to be a strong, well read and independent woman.

Therefore, instead of detaching himself from everything and drowning in grief, my Dad became my Mom that day. From cooking my meals to giving me company to making me ready for school, he did it all.

He is made of great love
He is made of great sacrifices
It’s because of his greatness
I can feel my Mom’s presence within him
Every single day!


Although my Dad made my life easier, his life was clouded with several adversities and hardships after Mom passed away. Managing work and bringing up an adamant teenager was not an easy thing together. He couldn’t sleep properly at night for the next 3-4 years.

I used to study for my board exams at night and he used to give me company. Again, at the crack of dawn, he had to wake up for making my breakfast and then heading for his work. But he did not lose patience even in those trying times.The smile on his face never faded even for a day. His optimistic outlook towards life made him see the silver lining behind the grey clouds. With a smile on his face, he fought with all his adversities without any complaints.

He is made of great resilience
He is made of great tenacity
It’s because of his greatness
I have learnt to face adversities
With a calm mind and a brave heart!


During my high school days, I became a very quiet and friendless person. I had to get admitted in a new school and as a result, I lost all my old friends. There was a chasm in me, which my Dad rightly realized. From that day onward, I got a new friend in my Dad. With every year, our friendship has strengthened. I can chat with him about anything and everything. The best thing about this friend is that he is such a patient listener. 

He is always my companion in playing outdoor games, in trying adventure sports, in painting, in taking selfies, in singing and dancing etc. Recently, when I tried paragliding, it was my Dad who encouraged me to fly and was cheering me up all the while.

He is made of great amiableness
He is made of great cheer
It’s because of his greatness
I have never felt
The absence of a sibling or friend ever!


When I was doing my marketing internship, I used to stay very annoyed all the time. My Dad could clearly understand that I was not enjoying the work I was doing. He told me to listen to my heart’s calling. “Do what you Love. Love what you do” is the motto he tells me to live by. At first, I couldn’t clearly understand what the calling of my heart is. But gradually, when I started listening to my heart more carefully, I could hear its words. It’s because of Dad’s constant motivation that I dared to follow my passion for writing in various ways.

He is made of great values
He is made of great philosophies
It’s because of his greatness
I could find the purpose
Of my Living!



My maternal grandmother lives with us. My Dad takes care of her the way my Mom would have taken care of her, had she been alive. My grandmother was suffering from breast cancer and my Dad made every possible effort to cure her from the life threatening disease. His efforts, prayers and love could cure her totally. My grandmother is totally cured of cancer today and lives a wonderful life now. I really forget sometimes that my grandmother is my Dad’s mother-in-law. They are totally Mother and Son.

He is made of a great heart
He is made of great willpower
It’s because of his greatness
I believe in the power of
Love, Miracle and Prayers!


Throughout the stretch of years, I have seen my Dad dealing with several ups and downs in his life. But his positive attitude is always there in whatever situation he is in. I have never seen him losing patience ever. He is the most patient and forgiving person I have ever come across. Humming a song of Kishore Kumar and carrying a serene smile on his face, he exudes positive vibes always.

In my eyes, he is the most successful person ever. The way he has brought me up, taken care of my maternal grandmother, worked hard to be a self-made successful man and the way he loves life make me say that he is made of a great soul, a great heart and a great mind.

The inspiration to be a better person
The motivation to follow my passion
The enlightenment to be patient, forgiving and hard working
The vision to help others
The influence to love unconditionally
Stems from the person who is a great, benevolent soul
It’s a blessing to be his daughter!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


You can know about the #madeofgreat partnership between Tata Motors and Lionel Messi here: http://madeofgreat.tatamotors.com/

It will surely enthrall you to the core. Go through it and participate in this exciting contest:

Answer this simple question in the comment section and the person whose answer would be the best, according to me will win an Amazon Voucher worth Rs. 750. The winner will be announced on 26th November here. Stay tuned!

What do you think of Tata Motors' Association with Lionel Messi?



Update 26th November, 2015: Thank you so much everyone for your participation in the contest. The winner is Gaurab Mukherjee.


52 comments:

  1. Wonderful and heart warming thoughts about your Dad. Greetings and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now we know who is the inspiration behind this talented young woman!

    Great post...I am glad to be inspired here.

    I feel Messi would be a great fit for Tata Motors. He brings with him values that would make any customer loyal to the brand...so it would add onto the brand value of Tata Motors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wonderful words, Alok. Glad you liked the post.

      I agree with you. Nice answer :)

      Delete
  3. A wonderful tribute to a father, who without doubt is a noble soul...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post , Great tribute.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobody can love the way daughter's love their father & vice versa.. You post of proof of that, love it Purba :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed Great!
    My salutations to him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The story of a Legend in himself - that's how I will describe it in a short sentence. Very well written with the pics which enhances the simplicity yet greatness of the Man..Salutations and very happy for you to have got inspired and bringing out your best in life.

    My answer: Tata is a name which any and every person can rely on for its honesty, commitment and perseverance. Lionel Messi is a legend who has carved his name in history books with total dedication to the game, simple living and improvisation which is seen with each game he plays. The association of Tata Motors and Lionel Messi as their Brand Ambassador will definitely give an edge to the Tata group over its competitors solely because the brand Ambassador also holds the same reputation of not letting his fans down ever, like Tata Motors who have given the best to the world over the decades. Its an exemplary association par excellence.

    You can choose my answer as the best if you feel I described it all well.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you UK for your generous words.

      And well said :)

      Delete
  8. I had tears in my eyes as I read this Purba... what an amazing journey between the both of you. Beautiful, beautiful read. My best wishes to both of you.

    And about the association of Messi with Tata Motors, I think it is awesome because... just like your dad and you... when two wonderful people complement and complete each other in such a beautiful way.. naturally, true greatness blooms and brightens the Universe when they come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thank you so much Arti. Your words are so full of warmth that it always makes me smile. I am glad you liked the post dear :)

      So true, wonderfully put :)

      Delete
  9. Such an inspirational post, Purba! I must say, your dad is indeed a man, #madeofgreat character. Like Arti says, I got emotional while reading your post, but I'm glad you have a hero to take care of you, despite he deals with all the odds to bring up such a beautiful girl with such great talent. Do your best and as he says, do what you Love! My sincere regards to him :)

    As about the question, I believe just like how your dad is the driving factor behind your passion and perseverance, Messi is the replica of TATA Motors and compliment their dedication and zeal with his talent. I hope their association bring benefits to them and the people.

    Good Luck :)

    Stay blessed <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amreen! So good to see you here :) I am super glad that you found the post inspirational. Thanks for all your wonderful words about Dad. And yes, I will definitely do what I love always :) Good luck to you too dear. God bless you <3

      Absolutely. Rightly said :)

      Delete
  10. A Great Post Purba.. As a father of 2 girls, I understand how much the daughters love their dads.. Your feelings are truly presented in the right place and your dad very much fits in the role of the personality # madeofgreat.. I wish all the best in your future and enquiries to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sir absolutely. You must be knowing about the beautiful bond of father and daughter. This post is very close to me and I am glad you liked it. Thanks for your best wishes. Means a lot :)

      Delete
  11. How ecstatic I am feeling after becoming aware of such a splendid personality like this man of substance, your dearest dad. Such a mentor is certainly the gem of a person with a heart of gold. You have portrayed the impact of him on your life so beautifully. Hats off to this master for his worthy contribution in giving your life a whole new definition and kudos to you for such a great write-up dear. :)

    Tata motors, the name speaks power, patronage and patriotism to we, the Indians, as this is our very own arena of trust and belief loaded with performance and excellence. When Tata motors got associated with the living legend Lionel Messi, this association has become the merger of Tiitans, the coalition of two power-packed performers.

    • Leo Messi, the football maestro, is the performer par excellence on the football courts while Tata motors is the makers of masterpieces to conquer the roads. This is the one union that is #madeofgreat power and perseverance.
    • While Messi is being counted for his winning stride, Tata Motors is the reason for Indians to feel pride. This is the one alliance that is #madeofgreat quantum and quality.
    • While Leo Messi is the personification of panache, Tata Motors is the portrayal of perfection. This is the one amalgamation that is made of great presentation and practicality.

    So, for The Style Symphony, Tata motor’s association with Lionel Messi is #madeofgreat value that is indeed going to benefit the automotive industry with a new zeal to touch the zenith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind and wonderful words on Dad and me, dear :)

      And a very well explained answer :)

      Delete
  12. Hey Purba! Lovely photographs with your dad.
    Those small poetic lines touched me a lot.

    Now if I am allowed to talk about the association of Tata Motors and Lionel Messi, then both are big names in their respective field and together this is a giant collaboration.
    The man with strong legs can drive the power-packed automobile. Messi is just perfect for it.
    Both have so much things in common like power, reliability, trustworthy and many more.
    When 2 number 1s join together, they form an unbeatable pair and that's why it is called GREAT!
    #madeofgreat for me is togetherness of God of Football to God of Automobiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yogesh. Glad to know you liked the poetic lines :)

      And well said :)

      Delete
  13. Such a wonderful post dear. The bond which you share with your dad is truely special. I could understand how tough it would have been for him to take care of you when he was broken from within. I think with the quality of work which you do and the person you have become...he must be a proud man seeing all this. All his efforts have gone into the right place. I too think that he is definitely a man who is #madeofgreat. Stay blessed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely words, dear. Yes, I believe that Dad and I share a very special bond. I admire him so much and I am just trying everyday to be a person like him. I hope that Dad is happy and proud of me. I hope I can make him even more proud and evolve to be a better human being in the days to come.
      God bless you always dear :)

      Delete
  14. When I read the title, I knew what was in store for me. Such warm emotions, so pure. Since I know you as a blogger friend I know your love for your dad, am sure it would have been very difficult to balance things. Kudos to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shweta. I am glad to see you here and happy to know that you liked the post.
      Indeed there were some really tough days. The way Dad balanced it all makes me admire him every single day :)

      Delete
  15. Oh Purba......Lots of love to you and my regards to your great man....your Dad.....I was reading the post with tears in my eyes, as I remembered my dad so much while reading your words.....All I can say is that whatever your father has done for you is reflecting in your warm and loving personality...I can feel his pain when years back he lost his beloved, I can feel your pain too my friend.....But pain has strengthened both of you....All those who are part of your world, and all those who have been fortunate enough to know you, are truly blessed. Sail on, to new heights, and wish you life full of love....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, a big hug to you.
      Thank you so much for this beautiful comment, full of warmth.
      I am amazed by the way you could empathize with our condition. Thanks for all the love and compassion, my dear. You are so right. Those challenging times have polished me to be a strong person, today. Thanks for all your wishes. Lots of love. God bless you :) <3

      Delete
  16. I loved, loved, loved your post. Your heart warming words, poetry, respect and love for your father and presentation. :)

    May you win! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now this is a huge compliment as it comes from you, Saru who is the queen of winning blogging contests.

      I am so happy that you loved my post dear. Thanks for your wishes :)

      Delete
  17. Loved the photos, the expressed feelings and the whole thing :)

    And for the answer, Messi is indeed #madeofgreat, and having him with TATA Motors will only mean more greatness in store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teny. So glad that you loved the post :)

      And I agree with you.

      Delete
  18. Great post Purba!. Liked the way you had expressed your emotions on your #made of great dad!.. And here is the answer to your question

    Tata motors being the first Indian brand to associate itself with an international sports icon is truly being envied!. Yes! When two people with identical qualities merge, the brand power increases enormously. Just as expected Tata Motors is tasting it by the reach and vibrations it has created with its association with Lionel Messie.

    With both's determination, dedication and power to conquer in their respective fields- their collaboration is surely a big hit and #madeofgreat indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Glad you liked it :)

      Well put :)

      Delete
  19. truly #madeofgreat and congrats by the looks of it you seemed to have a lot of your dads greatness in you.
    Indeed a nicely written post. I wish you good luck for the contest
    Here is my answer
    The association of Tata Motors with Lionel Messi is that of two greats. Lionel Messi has been exceptionally talented who with his hard work, determination and sacrifices has got better and tougher in his chosen sport so is the Image, reputation and quality of TATA Motors that have transformed brilliant ideas into masterpieces of engineering and created a brand and products that we are so proud of as Indians. Lionel Messi has transformed his body and the mind body co-ordination into a masterpiece of precision and excellence it would not be wrong to say that Lionel Messi is the TATA Motors of sports where as TATA Motors is the Lionel Messi of vehicles both giants in their own spheres driven by the drive to excel and lead by example. So Lionel Messi is the best choice for becoming the brand Ambassador for TATA Motors
    aaloke19@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your wishes. I hope I am half as good as him. Glad you liked my post :)

      A well explained answer :)

      Delete
  20. Parents' sacrifice cannot be measured and there is no word which can express a thank you feeling.
    You cannot give in return of their love for you, Parent's need only love and respect from their child that's it. And I am sorry to hear about your mother, but on other hand your father did a great for you. He is not only your father he is your mother and friend as well. He is definitely #MadeOfGreat

    My answer of your question :

    Tata Motors has earned the goodwill from giving the best and innovative Automobiles and it is also known as one the best Automobile Manufactures. And if you see the Lionel Messi , his throughout dedication, zeal , targeted goal of life and technically soundness make him big, achiever and remarkable position in the world.
    As per me, the association of Tata Motors and Messi is a grand amalgamation of two legendary entities of the world, and their amalgamation will definitely break down the clutters and affect the cut throat competition of Tata Motors. Tata motors will sure get a huge preference by the fans of Messi. This will sure make a record of Tata motors in the world of production or may be the highest selling automobiles.
    Tata motor’s main target is to give an impression on the large amount of crowd and this can be achieved only through the Messi, because the youth generation is crazy for MESSI and this can be smart move and a great achievement for Tata Motors they positioned MESSI as their BRAND AMBASSADOR .
    In the nutshell, Tata Motors , Messi joining hands will definitely give more soundness in technicality of promotional strategies and Messi’s influence will influence the audience for choosing Tata Motors and expand the business drastically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bhawna for your wonderful words. I agree that parent's sacrifice can never be measured or expressed with gratitude. We should just love our parents unconditionally.

      A very well explained answer :)

      Delete
  21. It's an amazing association because the two are actually rather alike. Lionel Messi's undoubted gift was in danger as the stubborn little boy faced a growth disease is mirrored in the struggle that TATA Motors has faced, case in point the now legendary confrontation between Ratan TATA and Ford. Their subsequent individual victories were also made possible due to passion and the right team at the right time. For Messi it was the youth team of FC Barcelona and for TATA it was the Ambassador car. Since then the two have never looked back, they've consistently improved their drive, updated their goals and never looked away from the target. They've taken their lumps and dealt with naysayers and critics in the only way they know how - by performing. They're a living testament that everyone is #MadeOfGreat but few have the capacity to grab that greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your verses very gracefully put across your emotions towards your father, Purba.
    This gave me goosebumps, literally.

    As for the expression of views towards the said association, I would like to answer through a stanza or two of verse:

    ---

    'What drives us from within is what makes us great'
    Belief in oneself, the zeal to put up a brave face,
    In the face of adversity, to stand strong against fate,
    That's how life is - it's an excellent goal to chase!

    To create a name for oneself, from the soil your feet dampen,
    To let critics enhance your effort, not let your spirits dampen,
    It's the journey that counts, more than having scaled the peak,
    To persevere so that it's your actions that have the loudest shriek!

    ---

    To sum up, I feel that this age-old adage rings true whenever I think of this beautiful alliance of an Indian Global Brand - Tata Motors and a Global Argentinian Sportsperson - Lionel Messi

    "Our Similarities bring us to a common ground; Our Differences allow us to be fascinated"

    That realization is truly #madeofgreat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am so glad that it could touch you :)

      A very unique answer, indeed :)

      Delete
  23. This is the first time I am reading your words...very eloquent...and the string that ties a daughter to her father just strengthens ...assuring each other of that unflinching faith. No man can ever match up to daddy dear. I can echo that.
    Missed saying hi to you at the BNLF...So hi!

    To answer the question… both Tata Motors and Lionel Messi have built a solid reputation. This foundation is built on the sheer perseverance and self belief and the ability to not resting till they achieve what they had planned to. And once they reach that stage… its so easy for both to say Veni Vidi Vici and then move on…to higher and more difficult to achieve aims. They both have set very high standards, and if anyone does want to surpass them they’ll have to work very hard indeed.
    Cheers to greatness. – See more at: http://baketitude.blogspot.in/2015/11/following-in-your-footsteps.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big Hi to you :) Great to see you here. And I totally agree with you. The bond of a father and daughter is always very special.

      Rightly said :)

      Delete
  24. Great and inspiring post here! All the best :)

    Messi is a guy with brand in himself and Tata Motors define a symbol of elegance, innovation and consistency. Together they will be great. A perfect combination I can forsee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Saurabh :)

      I agree with you :)

      Delete
  25. Messi is definitely a sports person we all look up to. He is a resilient striker who will never give up. The intrinsic quality of a person distinguishes him from other people and for messi it is his motivation, dedication and humble root. He is consistent performer who always want to excel and improve. Tata motor's association with Messi is a association of two greats. It is a perfect match. He is the right person to endorse the brand because Tata motors like Messi is a name which stands for quality and consistent performance. For years it has been delivering great vehicles. Just like Messi it is intrinsically driven by motivation and dedication. The brand Tata Motors and Messi are a perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)