badge

Saturday 18 April 2020

Partha (Mythological Monologues #16)



Today I am reborn, 
In the Kurukshetra field
At the touch of Divine Knowledge,
My spiritual birth took place 
As I witnessed the Source of Creation
In the Kurukshetra field. 
I- Partha, the brave son of Pritha and Pandu,
The spiritual son of Indra,
Often called Gandivdhari Arjuna
For possessing the mighty bow, Gandiva
Created by Lord Brahma Himself;
A fierce and capable archer,
Ambidextrous, invincible, always victorious
Was unaware of Self-Realization,
The true nature of the soul,
The purpose of the body,
And the meaning of life. 

Sheathed by the deceptive blanket
Of worldly attachment and illusion
Blindfolded by the impermanent ties
Of material love and saccharine memories,
I was reluctant to pick my bow
And fight the battle of righteousness
Against my grandfather, teacher and brothers.
Renouncing absolutely everything 
Peacefully retiring to forest life
Seemed the righteous path at that hour. 
How desperately we humans love 
The deceptive blanket and impermanent ties!
How fiercely we humans think
Our existence would lose all meaning without them!
How dangerously we humans are
Chained in the web of illusion and attachment!

Today I am reborn, 
In the Kurukshetra field
At the touch of Divine Knowledge,
My spiritual birth took place 
As I witnessed the Source of Creation
With incessant tears in my eyes 
That cleansed my heart; Purified my mind.
Fruitless is the fear of death 
As nothing and no one can kill the Soul
Made of five elements-
Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Space,
The body is a powerful costume
To fulfill the purpose of life.
Nothing is permanent apart from the Soul
Whose essence is virtue and fairness;
Every relationship, every object is transient
Attachments are an illusory web of thoughts
Desires are like stones thrown into a calm river
Acting on them will take away our peace.
We do not have to yearn and search for God
The Creator is in every Creation
Whatever happens, happens according
To the Master plan of the Creator. 
Surrendering to God's feet is the best Action.

I- Partha, would have been enslaved
In the dangerous web of material ties
If I had not wholeheartedly surrendered 
At the lotus feet of Govind. 
I- Arjuna would have been 
An ordinary brave warrior prince
Without being blessed 
By the knowledge of Gita
From the Supreme Lord Himself.
In being the true devotee of Lord Krishna,
I became the most memorable warrior.
Today I am reborn, 
In the midst of the Kurukshetra field.
Nothing more than an instrument I am 
In the hands of the Supreme!
I am an ordinary pen 
He is the mighty writer.
I am an insignificant actor
He is the talented director.
I am the fallen leaf
He is the powerful wind.


©Purba Chakraborty
18.04.2020


Note: Arjuna was third of the Pandava brothers in the Hindu epic, Mahabharata. He was the son of Kunti and Pandu. He was the favorite student of Dronacharya who taught him archery.  He was the friend and cousin of Lord Krishna. 

Outcaste Shabari (Mythological Monologues #15)










10 comments:

  1. I love your posts Purba! Indian mythology is so intriguing and mystical. I adore how you present various characters from there. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great a allegorical poem.writing poems with rhetorical sense is a great art. I respect the way you scribe poems purba!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    oh, those last six lines themselves are almost all we need!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was one of the powerful moments in The Mahabharata beautifully summarized from Partha's point of view. Beautifully written, Purba!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parth, the most able, most handsome yet still incomplete. Arjuna's example teaches us that a person is incomplete without the spiritual knowledge and spiritual way of life. Lucky was he to have Krishna as the guide.
    You have beautifully narrated the repercussion felt by Arjun in the most difficult time of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It might not be easy being Arjuna, especially during the Mahabharata. Yet another beautifully done, Purba!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When Arjun was in a dilemma that Bhishma is his pitamah and Dronacharya is the one who taught him Dhanurvidya. How can we fight against them. That time Krishna said..Partha do what the dharma says. Without Krishna, Arjun had never understood the meaning of dharma. We all are like partha. We all need the spiritual knowledge....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beautiful creation Purba. Managed to read just a few of your poems but immensely loved the rhetorical aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am an ordinary pen
    He is the mighty writer.
    I am an insignificant actor
    He is the talented director.
    I am the fallen leaf
    He is the powerful wind. How beautiful!! They're so deep, so intense. I think, in these three-four lines, you have poured the whole essence of this great epic. Brilliant Purba.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like Mythology and this by far has been the best piece I have read. Thank you, Purba for an amazing content.
    -- rightpurchasing.com

    In addition, rightpurchasing is having an open day starting midnight tonight along with the "Q" post. We will be open to any of your queries regarding Blog monetization or if you need any suggestions. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)