badge

Monday 13 April 2020

Kunti (Mythological Monologues #11)



Can a mother
Choose between her two children?
One - her first born
Whom she abandoned
Due to fear of society
Second- her most loved son
Whom the world calls
After her name, Pritha;
Any mother would happily die
To save the life of her son
But I- Kunti have to see
My two sons fight against each other
Where one will inevitably kill the other.
Karna and Partha-
Brave sons of an unfortunate mother
Brothers by blood; 
Turned into enemies by 
Destiny and Karma. 

Can a mother
Choose between her two children?
It is my Karma
That has left me in this misery;
When I wanted to acknowledge
My elder son, Karna in front of everyone,
Promising him respect, love and adulation
He refused at once crushing my heart
Saying he won't change sides before the war. 
His love, loyalty and generosity
Surpassed my love by a thousand miles.
I wept like a child, begging him for a solution
When he said he won't harm any of
my other sons except Arjuna. 
"You will have your five sons after the war-
that's my promise to you. 
You can pray for either Arjun's or my life."
He said with a smile on his face.

Can a mother
Choose between her two children?
Isn't it worse than facing death?
I looked into Karna's weary eyes
I had marked his entire life 
With agonies and difficulties
So that I could lead 
An easy and convenient life
Even at this hour, 
I am begging him for a solution
Instead of giving him love.
I decided to let the Pandavas know
About their elder brother
Arjun will never battle with Karna
Once he learns the truth.
My train of thoughts got interrupted
When Karna asked me to promise
As a token of love-
Not to reveal his identity 
To the Pandavas before the war ends. 

Can a mother
Choose between her two children?
Long back when I was a maiden, 
I already made the choice
To abandon my beautiful new born son
Never caring enough in life
Whether he is safe and sound;
I showered abundance of love
On Yudhisthira, Bhima, Arjuna
And Madri's sons, Nakul and Sahadeva
But never did I make the efforts
To search my elder son and embrace him.
It is my Karma
That made two brothers sworn enemies
It is my Destiny
Where I have to see
My two sons fight against each other
Where one will inevitably kill the other.

©Purba Chakraborty
13.04.2020


Note: In the Hindu epic, Mahabharata, Kunti or Pritha was married to King Pandu of Hastinapur. She was the mother of Karna and the Pandavas. She was the aunt of Lord Krishna. 


12 comments:

  1. Kunti situation was tough. For a mother, choosing between her sons is the lasting she would want to do. Purba, I wait for your monologues....great going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kunti's was indeed a sad destiny. You've captured the pain in these lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kunti is an apt example from epic Mahabharata for the adage, "Think before you act". Not thinking about the consequences of the actions, she made two blunders. One that of inviting God Surya and other that of asking her sons to distribute what they have got equally. Rest is History.
    No wonder then that she had tough time rest of her life repenting her deeds done in haste.
    - Its K for 'Kris Kringle' at https://canvaswithrainbow.com/kris-kringle/

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You will have your five sons after the war-
    that's my promise to you.
    You can pray for either Arjun's or my life."
    He said with a smile on his face." Purba I had goosebumps here. Karna's words are still like echo in my ears. Brilliant. Kunti's another name was Pritha? Wow great to know. Beautifully penned dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was unaware of Kunti's other name. Thanks for that.

    I've long thought that Kunti should have accepted Karna much earlier. Her timing was opportunistic, and things were so set in stone by then that it was always going to be fruitless.

    Wonderful poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know about Kunti's other name. Thanks for that.

    I've always thought she should have accepted Karna a lot earlier. As it went, her attempt seemed opportunistic. And things were so set in stone by then that her pleas were going to fall on deaf ears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been really attracted towards mythology dear until you got me gripped by your fab series of unparalleled mythological characters

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have mixed feelings about Kunti. Well written

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how your poems are written without judgment or taking sides. You have just portrayed it as is and let us worry about the rights and wrongs of it. That I think is a true mark of a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A mother's anguish, beautifully conveyed. It was very unfair to Karna to be treated the way he was. Beautifully written, Purba. My comments are not appearing. Don't know why!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)