badge

Tuesday 5 September 2017

The 5 most influential teachers of my life



Today is Teacher's Day. In the journey of my life, I have met many wonderful mentors who have taught me something valuable, whether directly or indirectly. Today I am going to talk about the 5 teachers who have been the most instrumental in shaping my life. All of them have inspired me and made me the person I am today. 

My Grandmother


My maternal grandmother taught me to never give up on love and kindness, even if people have been cruel to you. Kindness and love are universal languages that even a deaf person can hear. There have been so many times when I felt the world is such a bad place and I should stop being kind and generous to people. But it is because of her that I follow~
Let love be the lyrics,
 let kindness be the music
Let your heart sing forever.

My Father

Now, my father teaches me something beautiful every single day. He is my role model and someone who inspires me all the time.
But the most important thing that he taught me in life is the value of patience and hard work

I was a very impatient girl who always wanted fast results. It is my Dad who taught me that hard work never goes in vain. But wanting immediate results take away the joy of a work well done. He taught me to find joy in working hard and to be patient with the outcome. 

Rina Ma'am

She was my class teacher in Class 9. Having lost my mother a year back, I was cocooned inside my own shell. I was unable to make any friends and was an extreme introvert. I used to cry at the drop of a hat and often felt pity for myself. 

Rina Ma'am was the angel who understood what I was going through at that time. She was very empathetic towards me. She taught me not to ever take sympathy of anyone and to stop feeling like a victim. She said that the world is my oyster and I should conquer it. 

So many things have happened in my life after I left school, but I had never forgotten her words. Till date, I don't take sympathy of anyone and I don't play the victim, even if I am going through the most difficult circumstances. 

Mallika Miss

Mallika Miss was my teacher from Class 4 to Class 7. I used to take English tuitions from her. She also taught English at our school. She was the person who instated my love for English Literature. It's because of her my favorite subject has always been English. Therefore, I am forever grateful to her. It's my dream to meet her some day and gift her all my novels.

When I was in Class 7, I was not good at sports. I was such a nerd that I used to prefer all my time reading. My classmates were making fun of me, saying that I did not win anything in the annual sports. Mallika Miss heard their conversation and seeing me upset, told me "Purba, it's not necessary to be good in each and everything. You need to choose your passion and be faithful to it forever. That will be more than enough." I had never forgotten her words. 

Books

How can books not feature in the list of 5 most influential teachers of my life? The person who introduced me to books was my mother. When I was five, she started gifting me beautiful story books in every occasion. She told me that books will never abandon me and will teach me the most important things of life. 

I cannot explain the massive role that books have played in my life. From Bhagavad Gita to The Alchemist, books have always guided me and showed me the right path. Without them, I cannot imagine my life. 

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." ~ William Arthur Ward

Here's wishing all the wonderful teachers a very Happy Teacher's Day! 

Who is that teacher in your life who has inspired you the most?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 comments:

  1. Loved this one ... Grandma, Dad, two teachers and books...loved the way you have compiled

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post with the teachers being a mix of family and school and the twist at the end of the fifth teaher being books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Purba. Our learning starts from home, then school and the books. Most people forget that books are one of the greatest teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to read about your great teachers. Purba, life throws at us surprises and bouncers and the people who guide us through these difficult times and show us the path to self actualisation are the real teachers to whom we are forever indebted as you pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way all your teachers have inspired you clearly reflects in you, dear Purba. I consider my father one of the great teachers of my life. He is the one who I can blindly turn to in any time of distress and one I know who will truly listen to me and leave no stone unturned to guide me no matter what I have to say. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful post dear, learning is indeed a real treasure of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to know about all your teachers dear... and indeed this post is heartwarming tribute to your Father, Granny, Books & 2 teachers. Loved the way you've compiled all of them together! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)