badge

Thursday 1 December 2016

Keeping promises to myself : Winning NaNoWriMo 2016


In the last week of October, I decided to participate in NaNoWriMo 2016 and write an entire novel of 50 K words in the month of November. It was a difficult challenge, but from a very young age, I get attracted towards challenges. The thrill of overcoming a challenge excites me.

I sketched the plot in the last week of October and embarked on a new journey of writing the book titled "Is it me you're looking for?" on 1st November. I was full of energy on the 1st week of November and managed to write 18 K words within 7 days. 




However, it was the 2nd week when things became really tough as I faced an emotional crisis and was also overburdened with tight deadlines. The pace decreased as a result. 

In the 3rd week, I had many social commitments such as friend's wedding and family functions that also made it hard to continue writing the novel along with the regular workload. 

However, it was the 4th week when I pulled up my socks and decided that, come what may, I am going to finish the novel I am working on. And on 29th November just before the clock struck midnight, I hit the 50 K mark and completed the 1st draft of my novel.

I validated my work and was awarded this beautiful certificate by NaNoWriMo.



I was overwhelmed with emotions as I received the certificate and realized that I had finally kept a promise to myself. After a long time, I gifted myself something that I will always be grateful for. This one month of discipline, hard work and not giving up had shaped me both as a writer and as a human being.

Generally, I take 4-6 months to pen down the 1st draft of a novel. For the first time, I did it in one month. This itself is a huge motivation for me. Now I can't wait to go back to the novel after taking a week break and read what I have written so that I can edit it accordingly. 


Thanks to all you lovely people who wished me all the best when I shared on my blog that I am going to attempt NaNoWriMo this year. Blogging took a back seat last month due to this, but December will definitely be full of blogging. I have so much to write and share in my most favorite space. 



Indian Bloggers

25 comments:

  1. Most important is you did it even with all the emotional turbulence.

    Good luck, Purba...you set an example for many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alok for the encouraging words :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats, this is a fantastic achievenent. Hard work and dedication pays. This is the result of your persistency. Hats off. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, Heartiest Congratulations :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful achievement Purba! Requires lot of discipline, grit and determination. Of course we missed your blogs. But I suppose that everything is worth it it when you hold the new baby in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rajeev. I missed visiting your blog too, but hopefully I will be very active on December :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Purba. Well done and inspirational too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heartiest congrats, Purba:) Well deserved:)
    You inspire and motivate the sluggish me:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha :D Thank you so much Sir. You are a huge source of inspiration for all of us :)

      Delete
  7. Wow ! This is awesome Congratulation Purba :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many Congratulations Purba! Perseverance does pays well. You are simply awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many congratulations! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Despite the tougher week you saw it through to the end. Truly Remarkable... Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words. Yes it was a really tough 2nd week.

      Delete
  11. Hope to read your novel soon. Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations. Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once again, heartiest congratulations dear. You did it bcoz you were unstoppable. Keep your spirits always high like this. Best wishes for all future endeavors my dear <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats Purba, I somehow knew that you will make it. Nothing can stop your dreams.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)