badge

Tuesday 19 July 2016

Ideal Yatra: A vacation in McLeod Ganj


I have a huge weakness for the hills. When I am amid the hills, I experience a sense of tranquility. I feel closer to myself. Therefore, the best gift that I can give myself is a vacation in the hills. I am quoting a few lines from one of my poems “The Hill Song” that clearly explains my love for the hills.

I keep going back to the hills
Bask in the delicious sun and the greenery,
Read the love letter of the mountain breeze.

Listening to the inner and the outer tune
I slumber peacefully on the verdant earth
My soul talks to the flowers.

I have always wanted to visit McLeod Ganj which is located 4km north of Dharamsala Town. It is one of the biggest traveler hangouts in Himachal Pradesh that attracts plenty of tourists from all over the world. There are so many things about McLeod Ganj that attracts me.

The scenic beauty of the Dhauladhar Mountains, the peaceful and spiritual ambiance, the variety of cuisines, the Buddhist way of living, attaining inner peace through yoga and meditation are enough to convince me that I will have a great time McLeod Ganj. This is the place where I can get in touch with my inner self and feel rejuvenated after coming home from the vacation.

As McLeod Ganj is quite far from Kolkata, I have been postponing this trip for a long time. But now I really wish to gift this vacation to myself soon.

Four days in utopia

Since there is no direct flight from Kolkata to McLeod Ganj, I will first take a flight from Kolkata to New Delhi. I can choose Indigo Airlines for that. After that, I have to take another flight from New Delhi to Dharamsala. Spicejet Airlines is good for that purpose. Then, I have to finally take a cab from Dharamsala to McLeod Ganj.

Day 1


After checking in the hotel, I wish to try some authentic Tibetian cuisine in a nearby cafĂ©. After soaking in the beautiful ambiance of McLeod Ganj for some time, I would like to visit the Dalai Lama Temple which is famous for its peaceful ambiance. I would then explore the Tibetian market while returning back to my hotel. 

Day 2

I would start my 2nd day at McLeod Ganj by visiting the Tushita meditation center. I wish to attend the guided meditation session that starts at 9.30 am.
After feeling rejuvenated with the meditation session, I would move towards the Bhagsu Waterfalls.  

Day 3

On the third day, I would like to trek to Triund. I have heard from many people that Triund is the gem of McLeod Ganj which one cannot afford to miss. Basking in the beauty of the snow-clad mountains while taking the trek will be an extremely rewarding experience. 

Day 4

On the last day, I would like to go to the market to purchase some memoirs. I would also try some more cuisines. Most importantly, I would spend the last day in McLeod Ganj going for Paragliding in Bir-Billing. I have earlier done Paragliding in Kalimpong, but I am sure Paragliding in McLeod Ganj will be a thrilling experience. 

Just planning this itinerary in my mind is giving me an adrenaline rush. Trekking, Paragliding, trying various cuisines, attending a meditation session, shopping and interacting with local people…a vacation to McLeod Ganj is the Ideal Yatra I am looking forward to. 


22 comments:

  1. I've always loved reading your posts. This too is amazing. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesomely written, Purba. Dharamshala is one place that fascinates me and would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vishal. Hope you get to visit Dharamshala soon :)

      Delete
  3. Loved the post, Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you are a mountain girl :), I am a beach one on that.. Loved those poetic lines and your travel tale as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love beaches too, but I think I am slightly partial to mountains. Thank you so much dear :)

      Delete
  5. That's wonderfully planned, Purba! I love the details. Here's wishing your dream trip materialises very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! Thank you so much dear Arti :)

      Delete
  6. Tibetan food is awesome. There is one restaurant which has been featured on highway on my plate. Mc Leod Ganj has something to offer to all tourists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing! I would really like to try Tibetan food :)

      Delete
  7. A great post dear.. u seem to have enjoyed the trip :) I would luv to visit Dharmashala

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly a good plan to visit the Hills... Best Wishes, Purba!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the itinerary, Purba. Will be of help. I love mountains like you do, and, yet to visit McLeod Gunj... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the hills too. This yatra sounds like a bliss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Purba,

    I would like to know - How did it went? I am excited about Paragliding experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dharamsala is a beautiful place, but believe me, Himachal has better & much beautiful landscapes that remain mostly neglected from a visitor's eye. Lahaul, spiti, barot, bhabha, sangla, kasol valleys to name a few. Tribal areas of Kinnaur & Chamba are simply splendid. You shall be enthralled for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post brings back so many happy memories. We did McLeodganj - Dalhousie - Dainkund in April'14. It was a beautiful trip.
    Charu(Untraveled Routes)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Been there in 2012 ..
    Beautiful place .. friendly folks ..

    Dharamshala is close by.

    Other scenic places in Himachal ..

    Kasol
    Toshiba
    Rekong People
    Kheer Ganga.
    Malana
    Dalhousie

    Aditya S



    ReplyDelete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)