badge

Saturday 17 January 2015

Self-discovery: Journey from "Or" to "And"



We can't be afraid of change. You may feel very secure in the pond that you are in, but if you never venture out of it, you will never know that there is such a thing as an ocean, a sea. Holding onto something that is good for you now, may be the very reason why you don't have something better.”
C. JoyBell C.

This quote holds very true for me. I will tell in this post how. I did my graduation in microbiology despite having an insatiable passion for literature. My favorite subject was English in school days and I always dreamt of becoming a writer. I have loved taking part in the creative writing competitions and my teachers also thought I should study English. I got English (Honors) in Presidency College but my relatives told that I should study Science as it has better job prospects. 

I was naive and thought that studying science would be better. I enjoyed my subject thoroughly but my inner voice always tried to convey me some message which I rudely ignored. When I was in my third year, I realized how unhappy and unfulfilled I was. It was not because I hated my subject though the long practical hours used to irk me but the thing was that I was feeling confined to only identity: a student of microbiology…an aspiring microbiologist. That’s it! 


Despite having a wide range of interests and hobbies since childhood, I could focus on none of them as my studies used to cost me all my time. I couldn't even read books that time apart from my academic books. The long hours of practical classes were also messing up with my health. Finally, I decided that I won’t continue my Masters in Microbiology. While I was preparing for the entrance examination of MBA, I decided to write my first book. I was petrified and apprehensive as in the last three years, I haven’t even written a journal. It was extremely tough in the beginning.


 Relatives and neighbors used to tell me that I took an extremely wrong decision. They were shocked to learn that I was not doing masters in Microbiology. They ridiculed me telling that I am totally directionless and wasting my Dad's money. They used to tell me, “You won’t get a publisher. You are just wasting your time.” Some used to say, “Why do you read so many books? What are you getting out of it?” Some others used to say, “You are totally lost. You were such a good science student. God knows from where this inclination for art and literature crept in your mind.” 
 
I ignored all these people who were constantly being an obstacle to my self-discovery. Honestly, I also didn't know if I had it in me to become an author and a writer. However, I followed my heart and tried to polish my craft every day. That helped me to carve an identity for myself.

When I was doing the Marketing Internship in Outlook, I realized that it was not my cup of tea. That was the time when people used to tell me "Just take a decent job and concentrate on that. Why are you so unsatisfied with everything? You have written a book and now forget about it. You can't follow your dream and also earn a decent living." 

I was disheartened by such remarks but I didn't let it affect me.That is when I started learning about SEO optimized content writing, editing and copy writing. That has become my profession today. It became possible because since the last 2 years, I kept on polishing my craft. A lot of reading and writing helped me to follow my dreams and earn my living simultaneously. I could also give time to a variety of hobbies that were left abandoned for a couple of years. 

There was a time when I could only see darkness around me. I was skeptical if I was capable of anything but following that inner voice helped me discover light at the end of the tunnel. I learned that only when you dare to leave your comfort zone, you would be able to discover your hidden potential.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.”
Aristotle

I am glad that I could realize my inner calling. It’s said that all human beings are send with a gift from the Almighty. Understanding your gift and using it to your fullest potential is the purpose of life.

I am still unpacking my gifts and I wish when I leave this earth, I would be able to use all my gifts to the fullest potential.

Now I am an author and content developer and blogger and singer and book reviewer and poetess. 

This was my journey from “Or” to “And”.

It's me at Henry Island, a beach located few kms away from Kolkata

You must follow your heart and #UseYourAnd There should be no space for “Or” in life. 

This post is a part of #UseYourAnd activity at BlogAdda in association with Gillette Venus“.

3 comments:

  1. I am in tears after reading this. Happy for you <3 keep writing :) Every post of yours has something to learn. The quotes you mention <3 love the pic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have always been so kind and encouraging with your words, Sachin. Thank you so much. God bless you :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! If you like this post or have anything to tell, please go ahead.
Looking forward to hearing from you :)